[Translation] Skype FAQ

Discussion in 'Forum for discussion of ANTICHAT' started by Дрэгги, 5 Mar 2007.

1. Дрэгги

Дрэгги Elder - Старейшина

Reputations:
    What is Skype?

Skype is a simple computer program thanks to which it is possible to call to other Skype subscribers all over the world absolutely free of charge. If your friends, relatives or business partners have a web-camera, you can then arrange videoconferences with them free of charge. You will be able to call on usual stationary and mobile phones under very low tariffs with using Skype as well.

Where can I download Skype?

Visit an official website - http://skype.com

I'm using Linux, can I still use Skype?

Skype is compatible with the majority of platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Pocket PC. Calls, chat and file transfer works between all platforms.

What are the basic features of Skype?

SkypeOut is quite a cheap way to call from Skype on stationary and mobile phones. Thanks to SkypeOut you'll also be able to redirect the incoming to Skype calls to your home (stationary) or mobile phone. SkypeIn is a phone number thanks to which your friends are enabled to call you on Skype just like on a usual phone. You may choose for yourself numbers in different cities and countries and accept calls on Skype in any corner of the planet. Skype Voicemail will act as your personal secretary in those cases when you cannot answer a call. Skype SMS will be the best way to send SMS-messages on mobile phones of your friends.

Please elaborate a little bit concerning SkypeIn.

SkypeIn is basically your own virtual phone which will allow you to receive phone calls from those of your friends who do not use Skype yet and can call only on usual telephone numbers. Besides SkypeIn may be used while being in any corner of the globe. For instance, if your SkypeIn telephone number has a code of New York, but you live somewhere in Moscow suburbs, your New York friends - and just about anybody else! - can dial your New York number, and your Skype will start ringing on the other side of the ocean. And to your friends this call will cost no more than any other local call in New York. Certainly, anyone can call on your number from any part of the world, but since this is an american phone number and the call goes from some other country, then naturally those who initiate the call will have to pay for this call under international tariff of their own phone company. You may get up to 10 SkypeIn numbers in different cities and countries, and leave your friends guessing where you actually are! The countries where you can get yourself a number are: USA, the Great Britain, Brazil, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Poland, Sweden and Switzerland.

Numbers' cost:

12 months cost ? 30, and 3 months - ? 10. At present upon getting yourself a number you also receive an opportunity to use Voicemail.

Is it truth that tariffs on SkypeOut are very cheap?

Well judge for yourselves (from ex-Soviet Union):

* Armenia - $ 0.110
    * Armenia – Mobile - $ 0.275
    * Armenia-Erevan - $ 0.085
    -------------------------------
    * Azerbaijan - $ 0.244
    * Azerbaijan – Mobile - $ 0.273
    * Belarus - $ 0.283
    * Belarus – Mobile - $ 0.319
    * Belarus-Minsk - $ 0.283
    * Georgia - $ 0.100
    * Georgia – Mobile - $ 0.224
    * Kazakhstan - $ 0.201
    * Kazakhstan – Mobile - $ 0.212
    * Kyrgyzstan - $ 0.141
    * Kyrgyzstan – Mobile - $ 0.158
    * Russia - $ 0.055
    * Russia – Mobile - $ 0.056
    * Russia-Moscow - $ 0.024
    * Russia-St Petersburg - $ 0.024
    * Tajikistan - $ 0.214
    * Ukraine- $ 0.154
    * Ukraine – Mobile - $ 0.214
    * Ukraine-Kiev - $ 0.154
    * Ukraine-Lviv - $ 0.154
    * Uzbekistan - $ 0.137

Other tariffs: http://skype.com/intl/ru/products/skypeout/rates/

There is also a tariff called Global - only 2 cents in the direction of USA, all european countries and also Peter and Moscow. At present Skype also supports calls on free-of-charge phones but only in France, Poland, the Great Britain and the USA, though they promise to expand the list soon so we just have to wait.

Please elaborate a little bit concerning Skype Voicemail.

If for any reason you will be outside of the Skype network, you then won't be able to answer the calls of your friends and relatives. In order to make it possible for the one calling you to leave the message for you you don't necessarily have to be situated inside the Skype network. Those who have something to tell you, can do it while you sleep, walk your dog, potter about your garden, knit, play with a cat, hate all the world, study scales... This list can be continued eternally. If you cannot or do not wish to approach the phone, Skype will do it instead of you.

A fee for services of Skype voicemail: for 12 months is ? 15, and for 3 months is ? 5.

Copyright: И.Г.
    Anti (c) 1/11/2006
    Exclusively for antichat

English version by Дрэгги

4 people like this.
  2. NeMiNeM

NeMiNeM Elder - Старейшина

Reputations:
    Well, all this information can be found here http://support.skype.com/?_a=knowledgebase and here http://www.skype.com/intl/en/help/guides/ :) So I don't see any point in translating this FAQ :) But that's ok you've done it, it can be like an advertisement. Thanks.
    BTW, I've noticed some mistakes:
    Where did you see that? Great Britain is used without any articles. (but "the United Kingdom")
    The USA ;)
    It's the First Conditional:real possibility - if +Pr.Simple ... then +will+base verb.

Anyway, +5 ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Дрэгги

Дрэгги Elder - Старейшина

Reputations:
    Oh yes I know that after if can't be Future in no way, so I don't know why. And articles were always my weak point in English - meaning I never know when to use "the" and when not. I'll probably going to translate the other part about Skype too which is dedicated to Hacking Skype. Is that acceptable?

4. NeMiNeM

NeMiNeM Elder - Старейшина

Reputations:
    Yeah, that would be great ;)

5. Sn@k3

Sn@k3 Elder - Старейшина

Reputations:
    by the way. on each disk xakep is possible to find the given program...

2 people like this.